Saturday, July 24, 2010

Why do the have to get sick?

Yesterday was a long rough day and night with Caleb. He ran a high fever all day-around 103 with no other symptom. I took him to the doctor and they, of course, had no idea what was wrong with him. I felt like I wasted their time and over reacted, but when he has never had a fever that high, I was worried. I tried all of the things that my parents used to do to me when I was sick, but it was all wrong for someone his age and some of it made things worse. In the end, he slept in the middle of our bed and kept us up all night, but at least I felt like I could do something to comfort him when he fussed and I could put my hand on him to see if he was still hot, or too cold and in need of a blanket.

Sometimes being a parent is a totally helpless place to be. A doctor couldn't help him and neither could I. The only thing we could do was try to make him more comfortable, sit with him and wait. Sometimes there is no cure and the cause is unknown to us, but we have to just ride it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment